Te Kōrau is a wānanga-based business development programme that equips aspiring rakahinonga (entrepreneurs) with the insights, relationships, and tools needed to turn an idea, talent, or passion into a sustainable business venture. Learn awesome kaipakihi (business) skills in a supportive whānau environment that will awhi and tautoko you to pursue your entrepreneurial dreams.
How does Te Kōrau differ from CO.STARTERS?
Using the successful and internationally proven CO.STARTERS, a programme that helps to validate ideas and build a sustainable business, Te Kōrau weaves in Māori worldviews and narratives. It places business success within Te Ao Māori by understanding that our tikanga and environment mean we operate and prioritise different values and protocols within our businesses.
Who is Te Kōrau for?
Do you have an idea that you’d like to take further? A business that’s ready for launch? A business that’s ready for growth? Are you creative or skilled, but don’t know how to utilise that for profit or run it as a business? Do you want to solve a problem and make a difference in your community? Are you in touch with your Māori culture, or wanting to learn and hold values of whānau? Are you mindful of the wider Māori community in regards to your marae, hapū and iwi? Wherever you’re at on that journey, Te Kōrau can help.
What you get out of the Te Kōrau programme
- Whakamanawa / confidence and a deeper understanding of how to create and operate a sustainable business
- Identifying whether or not an idea is good and how to change it to make it work
- The āheinga / ability to articulate what your business does and how it works
- The next steps needed to move forward
- A whānau-like community of peers, mentors, business services and a national network of support
- An awhi/tautoko (safe, embracing, supportive) environment to learn in
- Designed for aspiring and seasoned rakahinonga (entrepreneurs)
- Access to possible mentors
- Insight into available funding for Māori entrepreneurs
Te Kōrau programme details
Te Kōrau is a wānanga-based business development programme that equips you with the insights, relationships, and tools needed to turn an idea, talent, or passion into a sustainable business venture. Topics covered in the Te Kōrau programme.
Module 1: Whakawhanaungatanga / Knowing each other and yourself
- Whākapapa, pēpeha, building your confidence, working styles, team building, obstacles
Module 2: Te mohio ki o kaihoko / Knowing your customer
- Problem, solution, benefit, competition, advantage, customer
Module 3: Ko te tika te whanautanga / Getting the relationship right
- Marketing and message; getting, keeping and growing customers
Module 4: Te hanga tauira hei tauine / Building the model to scale
- Starting small, distribution, revenue, typical sale, price
Module 5: Nga hangahanga umanga me nga whakaaroaro a ture / Business structures and legal considerations
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi, Māori core values / tīkanga and business, tikanga, registering a business, licenses and permits, IP (including protecting cultural IP), hiring
Module 6: Te kitenga i to raina raro / Discovering your bottom line
- Startup and ongoing needs, fixed and variable costs, break-even point
Module 7: Mahi kaute kia tupu / Accounting for growth
- Sustainability by monetising your business (Ehara ka ora te iwi Maori ma te pipi me te aroha anake.), kōha / barter, break-even point, sales projections, cash flow, accounting
Module 8: Te whakamahere mo te waaheke / Planning for the future
- Raising capital, growth plans, goal setting, pitch prep
Module 9: Haakari / Showcase and celebration
- Sharing your story and pitching