Te Kōrau is a wānanga-based business development programme that equips aspiring rakahinonga (entrepreneurs) with the insights, relationships, and tools needed to turn an idea, talent, or passion into a sustainable business venture. Learn awesome kaipakihi (business) skills in a supportive whānau environment that will awhi and tautoko you to pursue your entrepreneurial dreams.
How does Te Kōrau differ from CO.STARTERS?
Using the successful and internationally proven CO.STARTERS, a programme that helps to validate ideas and build a sustainable business, Te Kōrau weaves in Māori worldviews and narratives. It places business success within Te Ao Māori by understanding that our tikanga and environment mean we operate and prioritise different values and protocols within our businesses.
Who is Te Kōrau for?
Do you have an idea that you’d like to take further? A business that’s ready for launch? A business that’s ready for growth? Are you creative or skilled, but don’t know how to utilise that for profit or run it as a business? Do you want to solve a problem and make a difference in your community? Are you in touch with your Māori culture, or wanting to learn and hold values of whānau? Are you mindful of the wider Māori community in regards to your marae, hapū and iwi? Wherever you’re at on that journey, Te Kōrau can help.
What you get out of the Te Kōrau programme
- Whakamanawa / confidence and a deeper understanding of how to create and operate a sustainable business
- Identifying whether or not an idea is good and how to change it to make it work
- The āheinga / ability to articulate what your business does and how it works
- The next steps needed to move forward
- A whānau-like community of peers, mentors, business services and a national network of support
- An awhi/tautoko (safe, embracing, supportive) environment to learn in
- Designed for aspiring and seasoned rakahinonga (entrepreneurs)
- Access to possible mentors
- Insight into available funding for Māori entrepreneurs
Te Kōrau programme details
Te Kōrau is a wānanga-based business development programme that equips you with the insights, relationships, and tools needed to turn an idea, talent, or passion into a sustainable business venture. Topics covered in the Te Kōrau programme.
- Module 1: Whakawhanaungatanga
Knowing each other and yourself
Whākapapa, pēpeha, building your confidence, working styles, team building, obstacles
- Module 2: Te mohio ki o kaihoko
Knowing your customer
problem, solution, benefit, competition, advantage, customer
- Module 3: Ko te tika te whanautanga
Getting the relationship right
Marketing and message; getting, keeping and growing customers
- Module 4: Te hanga tauira hei tauine
Building the model to scale
Starting small, distribution, revenue, typical sale, price
- Module 5: Nga hangahanga umanga me nga whakaaroaro a ture
Business structures and legal considerations
Te Tiriti o Waitangi, Māori Core values/tīkanga & business, tikanga, registering a business, licenses and permits, IP (incl. protecting cultural IP), hiring
- Module 6: Te kitenga i to raina raro
Discovering your bottom line
Startup and ongoing needs, fixed and variable costs, break-even point
- Module 7: Mahi kaute kia tupu
Accounting for growth
Sustainability by monetising your business (Ehara ka ora te iwi Maori ma te pipi me te aroha anake.), kōha/barter, break-even point, sales projections, cash flow, accounting
- Module 8: Te whakamahere mo te waaheke
Planning for the future
Raising capital, growth plans, goal setting, pitch prep
- Module 9: Haakari
Showcase & Celebration
Sharing your story and pitching